Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Toilet paper and my own bathroom

I stash toilet paper. My eyes light up when Charmin' goes on sale at $4 off! or $6 off! for a bulky pack of 20 double rolls! equals 40 single rolls!

It's irresistible, a staple we use every single day, which constantly requires replenishing, and which - at full price - is ridiculously expensive. I won't buy 1-ply or off brands. It's Cottonelle or Charmin' or Royale for me all the way. Hubby buys Shopper's Drug Mart "Life" brand because it's cheaper, but I'll only resort to that if no other brand is on sale. Call me a toilet paper snob!

I love it when my bathroom toilet paper drawer is chock full of the hefty double rolls, readily at hand, reachable from, ahem, a sitting position. When the drawer supply diminishes I have only to go the linen closet for more. Hubby has his own supply of, usually, single rolls in his bathroom. He keeps the first floor powder room supplied from there, too.

I never use the powder room anymore. The men in the family have turned it into a place I don't like to enter, what with the lid being left up, the tank top removed and on the floor in case the ball or tank flap needs jimmying, the sink unscoured, the towels left hanging askew.

Only when we expect guests does that room get cleaned. It's a shame, since it's decorated so nicely with Estonian motifs, has a beautiful tile floor and lovely pedestal sink. I just had to give up on it when no one but me seemed to care about keeping it clean.

I'm thrilled to have my very own bathroom, which is our bedroom's ensuite. Coming from a house nearly six years ago where we had lived for 26 years with 8 people and one little bathroom, this was a luxury I thought I'd never have.

When we looked at this house while house shopping, I remember how, upon entering what is now my bathroom, I began to cry. That, after seeing the rest of this beautiful home, clinched it for me. I had to live here!

Now I find it hard to imagine not having my own bathroom. It has a large walk-in shower (larger than needed, really), a pretty sink and cabinet, gorgeous deep coral colored walls, a big mirror over the sink and ornate light fixture. It's my own personal paradise. I clean it and it stays clean!

No more water all over the floor (that's how it was at our last house every time a certain someone took his shower), no more sink-surrounding counter left swimming and splotched with shaving cream, no more dirty bathtub to clean (not to mention the toilet which no one else cleaned).

It takes little to make me happy, but I know one thing for sure. As God is my witness, I will never share a bathroom again! You just can't go back.

2 comments:

  1. I'd prefer a BIG closet than my own bathroom. I was on the wrong blog before, gonna link to this one.

    I love to see the Nurturing name in cyber print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the big closet, too! In fact, that's where I'm writing from. My upstairs computer is on a shelf on my side of the closet! I don't have that many clothes but the closet shelving is full of good stuff.

    If hubby moved his things out of this closet (he does have a whole other bedroom to himself in addition to our shared main bedroom, with a big stuffed-with-clothes-he-never-wears closet, which he uses as his office), I could really personalize this space. :) This house rocks.

    I could never leave NURTURING behind. Someone else started a magazine she called Nurturing (also in Canada and resembling ours, except ours was better!) and I felt like she had kidnapped my baby. That's why, when I'm not "Nurturing" on the net, I'm "NurturingFirst".

    ReplyDelete

Followers