Friday, May 14, 2010

Rhubarb sauce - the simplest of desserts!

Rhubarb! As spring arrives, rhubarb is not far behind. It is a taste sensation like no other. Tangy, soft-textured when cooked, visually appealing raw, baked, or boiled, rhubarb is as much a harbinger of spring as are robins, crocuses, lilacs, and forsythia.

To make this simple dessert:
  1. dice a bunch of rhubarb - as many stalks as you like (I had about 10)
  2. put in pot with some water
  3. add some sugar
  4. bring to a boil, then simmer until it reaches the consistency you like
That's all!

How big a dice? I just went down the rib, like I do when dicing celery, and chopped it into thin ¼" to ½" pieces. With a wide stalk, halve it lengthwise first so the pieces will be roughly the same size.
You'll find that as you dice, some strings want to be pulled. I only pull the ones that encourage me to pull them - I don't peel the whole rib as some folks do - there's no need to for this recipe.

How much water? For my sauce, not too thin, not too thick, I probably added about ¼ to 1/3 cup. It did not cover all the rhubarb pieces. This made a nice puree.

How much sugar? I poured in about half a cup or less - better to add less at first, then taste it when almost finished and add more if it's too sour for you.

The great thing about rhubarb sauce is that it can be eaten hot, warm, or cold - all ways it tastes fantastic!
It's wonderful spooned hot over ice cream or rice pudding. Or cold over either!

I added sliced strawberries and blackberries.
If you like the strawberry-rhubarb combination often baked into pies, you can cut strawberries into your pot along with the rhubarb.

I love to eat it just as it is - unadorned and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers