Saturday, November 13, 2010

Baltic Christmas Fair

Today was a beautiful day. I left Trenton early in the morning for Toronto, and the drive was smooth and uneventful - in other words, perfect!

Youngest son helped me set up my table at the Christmas Fair in the Estonian House (my home away from home) and I tried to arrange my wares in a pleasing, accessible way.

I am not good at tablescapes, and although I've been displaying things at shows, fairs, and conferences for over 40 years, I still suck at it! What I need is a good sales table designer.

The day went so well, and a lot of friends and acquaintances were greeted and chatted with. Many folks don't know I make jewelry and knit things, so it was a revelation to them to see me with hundreds of pieces of handmade earrings, bookmarks, necklaces, legwarmers, etc.

Two halls at the Estonian House had Christmas fairs going concurrently, so there were a lot of people there and lots of children to enliven the atmosphere. In other parts of the House brownie meetings were taking place and Estonian kindergarten was in full Saturday swing, so when the kids were picked up, many parents took them through the fairs.

Some of my best customers are Brownies and Girl Guides. They love buying things with the colours of our flag - blue, black, and white - and they love my bookmarks.

Ironically, when I sell at craft shows that mostly seniors attend, I repeatedly hear "Oh, I don't read anymore" when they see my bookmarks. At craft sales with child shoppers (I'm amazed at how they pull out 20 dollar bills to pay for their chosen items), my bookmarks attract young girls as flowers attract bees. Mostly 8, 9, 10, and 11, these lovely girls are voracious readers who inhale books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers