Monday, June 14, 2010

Pronouncing words correctly

We took our son out for his birthday tonight. Our destination was Tomasso's, an Italian restaurant in our small town of Trenton, Ontario. Our son had bruschetta for openers. Except that the waitress pronounced it "bruusheta" as many do. I felt compelled to correct her, so I did it light-heartedly, telling her an Italian friend of mine told me the way to pronounce it is "bruusketa". I also know this is right because all the cooks worth their salt on the Food Network pronounce it this way. Since this is an Italian restaurant, I figured, if anyone, then they should be saying it the Italian way.

The waitress was light-hearted right back and I have no quibbles. I wonder, though, whether she will change her pronunciation of it. I sure would, because proper language is important to me. I am a nit-picker and think more folks should care about the way they write and speak. In a world where the correct answers are at our fingertips with a few taps on the keyboard, why would anyone not avail themselves of this remarkable resource?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers