Thursday, June 10, 2010

Poutine (again!)


Poutine at Di's - not to die for, like at my other poutine places, but still pretty damn good! The difference was in the gravy. Di's was thin and runny and lacked the flavour of Mike's (behind the liquor store) and TJ's (next to Price Chopper) thick, flavourful sauce.

Additionally, Di's is only open Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, probably to catch the weekend crowd who have cottages in Prince Edward County or who visit the wineries there. Di's is next to Sprenkel's Meats and convenience store where I buy the best lean ground around, fresh chicken, homemade sausages, and other great meats (as well as a Reid's ice cream cone).

Hey, that's the guy who brings just-picked rhubarb, asparagus, tomatoes, and fresh farm eggs to the Trenton Farmer's Market! $2 for a large bunch of rhubarb stalks! $2.50 for farm eggs, white or brown.
______________________________________

I just read in the local paper about a coffee place which has opened on Front Street (downtown Trenton - a five minute drive away) called "The Grind". I will check it out tomorrow and am holding my thumb (Estonian expression) that it will prove to be the real thing! So far, all we have is four Tim Horton's - five, if you count the one on the base - and two McDonalds', plus the dismal coffee you get at the restaurants and other fast food places (which don't specialize in coffee).

I wanted to open my own coffeehouse here a few years ago since we didn't have one in this town, but with my health I knew I couldn't do it. I researched how to start and run a coffee place quite thoroughly. It was after Tava's in Brighton opened and closed within 3½ months and I had nowhere to go! (Now there is a great place to go in Brighton - End of the Thread on Main Street - as well as Lola's, which was there before and is in a lovely Victorian house. I haven't tried the coffee at Applecrate, also new in Brighton proper - they used to be at the end of town before the field - because they close too darn early!)

The result of my looking for good coffee (after being thoroughly spoiled living in Toronto where we had both a Timothy's - my favourite - and a Second Cup at the Don Mills Centre, a 5 minute walk from my house) is that I pretty much stopped drinking coffee! I changed to tea with honey.

These days if I want coffee, I open a (way-overpriced) Starbuck's Via and make do with that. I hope tomorrow will prove to be just what I've been waiting for!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers