Thursday, October 14, 2010

End of the Thread

End of the Thread
Brighton, just 13 minutes from my house in Trenton, is my favorite place to go for some charm and nostalgia. Old time friendliness and a lovely Main Street make me feel at home.

Residential streets streaming off Main Street offer well-groomed properties and some really pretty houses. Driving in and out of Brighton's streets is a feel-good activity.

My first stop is End of the Thread, a coffee/soup/sandwich bar and antique emporium. the atmosphere at End of the Thread is always welcoming and jovial, the customers and owners nice people to be around, the ambience eclectic.

Customers enjoying their meal at one of the antique tables
Coffee drinkers sit around any antique table they choose - all furniture in the store is there to both buy and sit at.

Montreal bagels are brought in from Toronto's St. Urbain Bagel and kept in a freezer. For awhile I always bought 2 sleeves when I visited: poppy seed for me, sesame seed for the rest of the family! 

The chalkboard menu
It's the only place I know in my vicinity where you can get Montreal bagels. You can also get a bagel and cream cheese for eating instore. The long wooden counter lining the front window is a great place to perch atop an old-time soda shop stool and watch the people strolling by.

Yummm.....hot soup!
Besides good coffee, End of the Thread offers chili daily and fantastic soup! Every day it's a different soup, from beef/mushroom/spinach to butternut squash to chicken curry. 

The first soup I ever had was so delicious I returned the next 4 days for a soup fix. One of those days, they were sold out! I was told I could phone ahead to reserve as much soup as I wanted, as it goes fast. Good tip. 

Next time I decide at the last minute to drive to Brighton, I'll call them and order 5 soups! A hearty serving, accompanied by homemade rosemary bread, costs $4.95.

Ordering and chatting

View from the front of the store

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers