Friday, January 22, 2010

Canada Post: Rates up = Service down

Today my daughter received an important letter about her student loan (she uses our address for her mail). I thought she received two identical letters until I saw that the other was addressed to someone else - someone in Toronto, an hour and a half from here. The only similarities are in the name of our town and Toronto and that we both have K8 in our postal codes - in different spots.

Canada Post raised its postal rates 11 days ago. How oxymoronic that it has also farmed out delivery duties of some of its mail to the good citizens of Canada! I do mean good citizens, as I imagine most people will let the errantly delivered mail sit in their house for days, weeks, months, or forever. Some will toss it in the trash. Those who personify Toronto, the Good - comma mine - or in our case, Trenton, the Good - will get in their car, drive to the P.O., hand the misdelivered letter over and hope that the good employees at their Canada Post office will see that it gets to its rightful recipient.

In the case of today's letter, it looks like the content is identical, as the envelopes certainly are, save for the addressees. Our daughter's letter contained time-sensitive material of crucial importance to the student, so I know I must get the other letter to the person it is addressed to speedily. My problem is why is this now my problem?

Above (or under) it all (I can't figure out which) hovers (or lies) the question:

How much of my mail has been delivered to the hands of others?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers