Friday, January 1, 2010

Ice fishing huts and Trenton fries

We have the best French fry trucks in Trenton.

They're a familiar sight in small towns and even at Nathan Phillips Square and by the waterfront in Toronto, but we have the best right here! I usually go to the one behind the beer store, especially if I'm on my way to Pharmaplus which is across the street, and have been going there since we moved here over 5 years ago.

Mike's fry truck on a Monday night (all fry trucks are closed on Mondays just like German delicatessens and the theater) 

It's called Mike's, but I would change the name to "Fries from Heaven" if anyone asked me. From inside the small truck unit, Mike and his wife, at least I assume it's Mike (and also assume it's his wife who works with him) serve up steaming h-u-g-e portions of fries heaped up in brown paper bags, always a few falling out, for just a few dollars.

These soft-on-the-inside-slightly-caramelized-on-the-outside potato delights are TO DIE FOR! We wait in the comfort of our cars or chat with other patrons outside until we're called to "pickup!"

Only recently have I also started to go to TJ's, the fries place next to the Price Chopper on the Trent River (where it meets the Bay of Quinte). These fries are just as heavenly as Mike's.

The bonus is that you get to eat them while watching the water or, in the winter months, the ice.

New Year's Eve found me there, making it my first stop of the day (I hadn't eaten yet, in anticipation) which had me aimed toward Belleville and the Michael's store in order to use my 50% off coupon on another whiteboard for Lauri's dorm room.
Trent River fishing huts
Trent River ice fishing huts
It was a cloudy day, but the sight of these huts made me happy to be living in small town suburbia instead of Toronto suburbia.

This is the view from my car window. I saw the ice fishing huts and wondered if the ice was thick enough.

The river still looked a little watery. But there were 3 huts and a snowmobile set up, and the vehicle wasn't sinking, so I figured what did I know?

Toronto suburbs lead to large buildings and traffic as you leave your local enclave. Trenton suburbs lead to nature and hardly any traffic at all. My street could easily be any street in Toronto, but as soon as I drive out a few blocks there are empty fields, farms, and water, water, everywhere.

The Bay of Quinte is to the south of us, the Trent River to the east of us and a small body of water I don't know the name of to the north of us as we drive the 6 minutes to the 401.

When I was back home, I leafed through this week's Trentonian and found that someone had beat me to the punch. There was a large picture of the same huts, but the paper's pic also had people on the ice. And a warning.

It seems the ice is not thick enough yet to safely put an ice hut on it! It needs another inch or two, especially it you're also expecting it to support a snowmobile. So, my musing was not off course at all. Oh, those intrepid fishermen!
Trent River fishing hut

The 3rd best place for fries is just outside Trenton. It's beside Sprenkel's in Carrying Place where I go for the best meats, and it's called Di's. I don't know how they do it, but these fries are also awesome.

Lest I sound too Trenton-centric, let me state that I have tried the fries in Belleville and Brighton, our neighbouring towns (well, Belleville is actually a city and Brighton a municipality), and they just don't compare.


I love going to Sprenkels - we always get our fresh Christmas turkey from them - for a few reasons besides their top-notch butcher department. (Note to hunters - Sprenkels is an exemplary venison-processing facility, too.)

When we first moved here our daughter, who'd long been traveling Wooler Road down to Consecon where her friend's family has a summer place, introduced us to the mile-high ice cream cones served at Sprenkels. First of us to try them after her were another daughter and me.

Not only could you order unique flavours like apple pie (it's all Reid Dairy ice cream), the sheer height of the double-and-then-some scoop for only $1.50 was awe-inspiring.

These days, the scoops are a little smaller and cost a quarter more, but that's okay with me because it was becoming too hard to finish the whole thing and I don't mind throwing in the extra 25 cents.

The second good reason is the vegetable and fruit seller who sets up shop in Sprenkels' parking lot in the summer. It's my second favourite place to go for veggies, the first being Laurie's who sells from her own yard on Highway 2 and is closer to my house.

But that's a Trenton story for the summer months.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting information, I like your blog, Thanks very much! Keep posting....

    Alaska Fishing Vacation

    ReplyDelete

Followers