Saturday, July 3, 2010

Swan Lake

A study in swans, perfect for prospective Odettes. Enlarge each picture to get a closer look. I took these shots from across the pond where this family of swans was swimming, returning to its nest, and cleaning themselves.

They inhabit a quiet enclave off a rural road just a couple of minutes from my house, but I felt like Jane Goodall observing them in their intimate natural habitat.

I caught them beautifully skimming across the water on the way back to their home, then spent half an hour crouched on the ground snapping them through the grass as they shook off the  water, groomed themselves, and settled into their nest.

It was a spiritual experience to be there quietly observing.















Look at the two box turtles (to the right of the swans' nest) in all the following pictures (enlarge them twice for best view). I didn't even know they were in my pictures until I uploaded and enlarged them!















Future Odettes - check out the way the swan curves its neck!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers